Violations of the Zoning Code often involve activities that affect the safety, health or quality of life on both the source property and adjacent properties. Examples of common violations are:
- Living in motor homes or travel trailers in residential areas
- Inoperable vehicles stored on residential property
- Major automotive repair at a residence
- Maintaining livestock or poultry in areas not zoned for these animals
- Illegal business at a residence
- Fence location and height restrictions
As with housing complaints, the property owner is contacted and instructed to correct the violation, and fees may be assessed for failure to comply. The Elk Grove Zoning Code describes in detail what types of actions are permitted on each type of property.