How do I set up new service?

For new property owners or existing owners moving to a new service address, services will be automatically established at the rate billed to the previous owner of the property. The service will be established in the property in the property owner’s name based on information obtained from the Sacramento County Assessor’s data. Typically, the account will be established within 30 days after the close of escrow and will be retroactive to the close of escrow date.

Tenants setting up accounts or moving to a new service address must provide an application with an authorizing signature from the owner or an authorized agent before receiving service.

Tenants can pick up an application at 8401 Laguna Palms Way, or click below for a printable copy. Applications may be submitted in person, through email to utilitybilling@elkgrovecity.org or via fax to (916) 683-1256. Remote applications must include a clear copy of a Driver's License for ID verification.Tenants Click Here toApply Now!

How can I sign up for paperless billing?

To sign up for paperless billing services, click here. You will need your account number and service address in order to set up services.

I sold my property/I am a tenant who is moving out how do I discontinue my service?

Call our Utility Billing Department at (916) 478-3642 as soon as you know your last date of service. Your bill will be finalized and mailed to the forwarding address that you provide. Any deposit remaining on the account will be refunded.

For a rental property, should the Utility Bill be in the owner's name or the tenant's name?

Your rental agreement should specify which party will be responsible for the utility charges. The bill will ultimately be the responsibility of the owner of a property. For bills to be placed in a tenant's name, the City requires owner authorization and acknowledgement that the property may be liened and/or levied for collections purposes.

When is my Bill due?

Your utilities are billed two months in advance and the due date is 45 days from the date on the bill. The due date can be found in the "Account Charges" area of your bill.

Are there late fees/penalties for paying my bill after the due date?

There will be a 10% late fee on the current past due amount and a 1½% late fee on older delinquent amounts. Accounts that are delinquent for three billing cycles may have their trash service suspended. Reinstating service will require a deposit, restart fees and possible code enforcement fines.

How can I pay my bill?

You may pay your City of Elk Grove Utility Bill several ways: 
  1. Payment remittance to the Payment Processing Center: If you mail your payment stub with your check in the envelope provided, we will receive and process your payment. 

  2. Online Bill Pay: You may set up an account and pay online with a Mastercard, Visa or debit card by clicking “Online Account Access” under Payment Options.

  3. EFT bank drafting: To have your bank account automatically debited 10 days prior to the due date on your invoice, you can sign up for Electronic Funds Transfer by clicking “Online Account Access” under Payment Options.

  4. Credit Card Auto Pay: Sign up to have your Visa, Mastercard or debit card automatically debited 10 days before the due date of the invoice by clicking “Online Account Access” under Payment Options. 

  5. Online Banking Bill Pay: If your bank offers online bill payment services, you can set up your payment to be automatically sent to us through your bank. Be sure to enter your account number exactly as it appears on your bill, including the dash between the numbers. Account numbers entered incorrectly or without the dash will have to be manually processed and may result in late fees. 

  6. Payment drop box: A drop box is located in front of City Hall at 8401 Laguna Palms Way. Payments delivered to the drop box will be processed on the next business day. 

  7. In Person: You may bring your payment to the Cashier's Office, located at 8401 Laguna Palms Way, Monday thru Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. We accept cash, check and Visa, Mastercard and debit card payments. 

  8. Credit card over the phone: You may call us at (916) 478-3642 during regular business hours to make a credit card payment over the phone. Please note we experience higher call volumes on the payment due dates and you may have a longer hold time on those days.


Do you offer a discounted rate for low income customers?

The City offers a 20% discount on the garbage portion of the utility bill for qualifying households. To qualify for the program, applicants must be enrolled in SMUD’s Energy Assistance Program and will be asked to provide a copy of a current SMUD bill as verification. Customers who qualify for the City Of Elk Grove’s rate assistance program are subject to all deposit requirements, late fees and suspension of service for unpaid accounts. Applications are available at 8401 Laguna Palms Way, or you may click here for a printable copy. Application may be made in person or you may mail the application to:

City of Elk Grove
Utility Billing-Rate Assistance
8401 Laguna Palms Way
Elk Grove, CA 95758

Why does my bill show a different amount than the standard flat rate?

If you did not change your cart size, request an extra pick-up, or start/stop service in the middle of a billing cycle, your bill should be the standard amount. Service that is started or stopped between billing cycles will be prorated. It is important that you contact us as soon as possible if you discontinue your service so that we can properly credit your account. If you have questions on your bill, contact the Utility Billing department at (916) 478-3642.

I have questions about other services offered by Republic Services. How do I contact them?

You may call Republic Services directly at (916) 635-2500 to schedule additional services such as bulky waste removal, extra pick-ups, or to have Allied remove a television or computer monitor. You may also call them to change your cart size. There are additional fees for some of these services and you will receive those charges on your Utility Bill.

How do I correct the spelling of my name or inquire online about a bill question?

You may click here to fill out a customer contact form. Please be sure to include your account number, your service address and any contact information we may need to reach you for follow up.

© ELK GROVE 2017All Rights Reserved. Privacy PolicyPowered byCivicLive.com