Violations of the Zoning Code often involve land use compatibility and activities that affect the safety, health or quality of life on both the source property and adjacent properties. Examples of common violations are:
- Inoperable vehicles stored on residential property
- Maintaining livestock or poultry in areas not zoned for these animals
- Illegal business at a residence / Home occupations
- Fence location and height restrictions
- Accessory structures not meeting setback requirements
As with housing complaints, the property owner is contacted and instructed to correct the violation, and fees may be assessed for failure to comply. The Elk Grove Zoning Code describes in detail what types of actions are permitted on each type of property.