Did you know…?
- Paint is the most prevalent household hazardous waste item received at facilities.
- It is ILLEGAL to dispose of paint products in the trash, storm drain, or onto the ground.
- Paint can easily be reused and recycled.
Do you need half a bottle of cleaning supplies?
Maybe a few pints of paint?
How about a half a bag of plant fertilizer?
Instead of buying bulky new products, Elk Grove residents can come to the Special Waste Collection Center’s Reuse Room and find a wide variety of new or partially used products for personal use only. If products dropped off at the Special Waste Collection Center are: 1) useable, 2) not a banned product and 3) are full enough to make it worthwhile our hazardous materials specialists will place them in the Re-Use Room where Elk Grove residents can take them home FREE of charge. You can feel good about helping the environment and save a few bucks.
Typical Household Items available for reuse may include:
- Home Improvement
- Lawn and Garden Care
- Pool Supplies
- Wood Working
How the reuse room works
- Read the Rules
- Sign a waiver and present your proof of residency (Driver’s License, State ID, Utility Bill)
- Shop for your products (Limited to 10 items per calendar month)
- Place your products in a box
- Safely transport your products home
- No more than 10 items per calendar month per household
- Available to Elk Grove Residents only
- Items cannot be held
- Items are available on a first come, first serve basis
- Anyone under 18 years of age MUST be accompanied by an adult.
- For safety purposes, all customers entering the Reuse Room must be wearing shoes and a shirt.
- Customers shall not open containers or spray aerosols in the room.
- Items CANNOT be resold.
- All Customers must be courteous and respectful of others.
- No pushing, shoving or abusive language.
- We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.
City of Elk Grove Special Waste Collection Center
9255 Disposal Lane
Elk Grove, California 95624
Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Wednesday
9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Phone: (916) 627-3232
How much paint do I need?
- Multiply the length of each wall times its width to find the area. EX: 10 x 15 = 150 square feet
- Divide that number by 350 (the estimated square feet covered per gallon) to figure out how many gallons of paint you need.EX: 150 ÷ 350 = 0.43 gallons or buy a 1/2 gallon of paint.
Visit www.paintcare.org to use their online paint calculator or for useful information about the reuse, recycling and proper disposal of unused paint.
For more information on safer alternatives to household hazardous waste please visit:stopwaste.org
City of Elk Grove Special Waste Collection Center (SWCC)
9255 Disposal Lane | Elk Grove, California 95624 | Phone: (916) 627-3232