The State of California requires recycling at all commercial
properties that generate four cubic yards or more of solid waste per
week and at all multi-family residential dwellings with five or more
units (AB 341).
The purpose of California’s mandatory commercial recycling law is to
reduce greenhouse gas emissions by diverting commercial solid waste to
recycling efforts and to expand the opportunity for additional recycling
services and recycling manufacturing facilities in California.
To learn more about mandatory commercial recycling in California, click here.
Business and Multi-Family Recycling in Elk Grove
The City of Elk Grove adopted mandatory commercial recycling on July
1, 2010, for all commercial properties that generate four cubic yards or
more of solid waste per week.
Who Must Comply?
All businesses, non-residential properties, multi-family properties
(with five or more units), and single-family residential properties
managed by an association or other organization, that subscribe to four
cubic yards per week or more of garbage collection service, are required
to implement an on-site recycling program.
What Are The Program Requirements?
- Complete a Recycling Plan with your solid waste hauler. The Recycling Plan includes summary information about your business or multi-family property and indicates how you will comply with the program.
- Keep the recyclables separate from your trash. Recyclables
include mixed paper, newspaper, magazines, junk mail, cardboard, plastic
containers (#1 - #7), glass containers, and aluminum and tin cans.
- Provide for the collection and delivery of recyclables to a recycling facility by either:
- Entering into a Service Agreement with a Registered
Commercial Hauler or an Authorized Recycler for the collection of
- Self-hauling recyclables to an appropriate facility. For this option, you must complete and retain onsite a Self-Haul Recycling Form.
- Provide containers for the collection of recyclable materials.
(The City provides free recycle bins for businesses and apartment
managers, while supplies last.)
- Post and maintain signs in areas where recyclables are collected.
- Educate employees and/or tenants about the program.
Who Are The Registered Commercial Haulers And Authorized Recyclers?
Only Registered Commercial Haulers or Authorized Recyclers can collect and haul recyclables in the City of Elk Grove. View the list of commercial service providers.
Will It Cost Money for My Business or Multi-Family Property?
Chances are, yes. You may be able to save money, however, by
reducing the amount of trash you generate once you begin or expand
recycling and decreasing the size of your trash dumpster or the
frequency of collection. Contact your waste hauler to learn more about
reducing overall costs. Waste reduction, however, can save you money.
See our brochure, “Waste Reduction Tips for Businesses Fact Sheet.”
What Can We Recycle?