Elementary School Recycling Education Presentation
Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
Objective: Create a greater awareness on practices that can help preserve the environment by reducing, reusing and recycling.
Target Audience: Grades 2-4. Kids are more likely to take action and motivate others whether it be with their peers or their family. They will encourage change within their core family circle prompting positive change especially with their parents or guardians. Thus, we have grown our sphere of influence from children who will impact the future to adults who can make positive change now.
Media: The following items will be utilized during the presentation:
- Power Point presentation,
- 5 pounds of “trash”,
- classroom recycling poster, and
- recycling badge
The overall goals of what students will learn from this presentation are in line with the California Personal and Community Health Standards (PCH):
Presentation & Set-up
- Student will be able to encourage others to promote a healthy environment.
- Be able to identify materials that can be reduced, reused or recycled.
- Understand how individual behavior affects the environment and community.
:13 Slides (20 minutes)
- Interactive and thought provoking while educating students on the 3 R’s: Reduce, Reuse & Recycle.
Q&A Session (5 minutes)
Group Activity (optional): Students can break into groups for a hand’s on approach to sort recyclables into different bins (Paper, plastic, glass, etc.) using the knowledge gained form the presentation. (10 minutes)
Estimated total classroom time:
How to request a presentation
- Without Group Activity: 25 minutes- introductions and presentation.
- With Group Activity: 35 minutes- introductions, presentation, break into groups and classroom interactions.
It's Simple! Contact the City of Elk Grove Integrated Waste Department at 916-478-2297.