Frequently Asked Questions

Learn about businesses and employees Learn about evictions and foreclosures 

View the Sacramento County Public Health Order

Where can I learn more about the COVID-19 vaccine?
Sacramento County has created a centralized website to disseminate information about the COVID-19 vaccine at The website includes information on vaccine benefits, safety, distribution, and providers.
Who will get the COVID-19 vaccine and when?
Vaccinations are being administered in Sacramento County in phases starting with those at highest risk. Sacramento County Public Health is in the process of working with local partners including hospitals, long-term care facilities, and clinics for vaccine distribution. Those eligible under Phase 1A are currently receiving vaccinations. More information about the local process and procedures will be posted on the county website as it becomes available.
As the County moves through their eligibility Tiers, how will people be notified that they are now eligible to receive the vaccine?
At this time, not a lot of information is available on how community members will be notified. Sacramento County Public Health is currently reaching out to specific groups within the Phases/Tiers. As vaccine distribution expands to other Tiers and more information becomes available, Sacramento County Public Health and other entities, including the City, will work to broadly disseminate that information.
Can I drop in to get vaccinated?
No. The supply of vaccine locally is limited and may affect its availability at designated distribution locations. Vaccinations are being administered in phases to specific groups of people in Tiers. Eligible recipients will receive more information on the process for getting their vaccination when their Tier is being served.
When I go to get my vaccine, what type of proof of eligibility will I need to bring with me.
Depending on what Tier you are in, proof of eligibility may be required. You will most likely be notified upon registering to get your vaccine what types of documentation for proof of eligibility will be required.
Where will I get my vaccine?
At this time, there is not a lot of information on where vaccines will be administered. The County is coordinating with healthcare partners and community pharmacies to expand the number of vaccination sites. As these plans are finalized and vaccine distribution becomes more widespread, that information will be made available.
What areas does the Public Health Order apply to?
This Order is in effect in all of Sacramento County.

In addition, similar orders are in effect in Yolo County, Yuba County, Sutter County, Santa Clara County, Santa Cruz County, Sonoma County, Solano County, San Francisco City/County, San Mateo County, Contra Costa County, Alameda County, Monterey County, the City of Berkeley and more.
What happens if I don’t comply with this Order?
This is a legally enforceable order issued under California law. It is a crime to violate this Order, and you may be punished by a fine or imprisonment for doing so.
Is this Health Order mandatory or is it just guidance?
This Order is mandatory, and all persons, businesses, and other entities are required to comply if they do not fall within the exemptions that are specified in the Order.
Am I allowed to leave my home while this Order is in effect?
The intent of this Order is to ensure that people remain in their residences and minimize social interactions outside of their immediate family unit. However, you may leave your residence for reasons specified in the Order. These reasons include ensuring the health and safety of yourself and your family, engaging in outdoor activity that does not involve close contact with other people, obtaining services and supplies for yourself and your family, and to perform employment functions that are permissible under the Order.
I operate a food facility-- what practices should I follow to keep my patrons safe?
Follow the best practices for allowable food facility operations. The National Restaurant Association has a great resource page. Consult the Sacramento County Environmental Management Department’s website for additional up to date information.
What are the employment functions that are permissible under the Order?
The Order identifies an extensive list of “essential businesses.” The employees of these businesses may continue to work outside of their residences so that the businesses may continue to offer their goods and services. Employees of non-essential businesses may report to work to maintain what the Order defines as “minimum basic operations,” which are the operations necessary to maintain the value of the business’s inventory and to provide for the business’s security. Additionally, government employees who are designated as essential by their government employer may continue to work outside their residence. Any employees who work outside their residence should maintain social distancing of six feet from any other person whenever possible.
Does this Order require that I shut down my business facility?
The Order identifies an extensive list of “essential businesses” that may continue to serve the public in person during the term of this Order. The Order allows non-essential businesses to maintain what the Order defines as “minimum basic operations,” which are the operations necessary to maintain the value of the business’s inventory, to provide for the business’s security, and to ensure that employees can effectively work from home.
Does the Order allow me to leave the County?
The Order allows travel out of the County only to perform “essential activities,” operate “essential businesses,” or to maintain “essential governmental functions,” as those terms are defined in the Order.
What happens if I leave Sacramento County to go on a planned vacation?
The Order requires that you shelter in your place of residence. If you leave Sacramento County for vacation or another reason, that is not an essential purpose exempt under the Order, then you may not be permitted to return to your residence. Traveling runs the risk of spreading the virus to other areas and exposing new populations.
Can I continue to use public transit?
Public transit continues to operate on a limited basis. Public transit can only be used to perform “essential activities,” to get to and from work to operate “essential businesses,” or to maintain “essential governmental functions,” as those terms are defined in the Order. People riding public transit must comply with Social Distancing Requirements and wear a face covering.
Are non-profit organizations allowed to continue to operate?
If they provide essential services as described in the order, then yes they can and should continue providing those services. This would include non-profits operating food pantries, providing housing for homeless residents, and many, many other critical services.
Can I get my prescription drugs or other health care supplies?
Yes. Pharmacies, healthcare supply stores, and healthcare facilities are allowed to operate.
I work for the government - Can I continue to go to work?
Government employees can continue to go to work if they are designated as essential employees by their employer. Each government is responsible for determining which of its workers are essential.
I work for a company that provides products and services that the public needs to access critical services. Is my company being shut down?
No. Most employees will need to work from home, however anyone who must work on sight to maintain “Essential Infrastructure” for the community as described in the order, or maintain “Minimum Necessary Operations” may continue to work in the workplace, so long as they are maintaining social distancing.
What should I do if I’m feeling sick?
Unless you are experiencing a medical emergency, call your doctor, nurse hotline, or urgent care center first before going to the hospital. Call 911 or go to an emergency room if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
Can I still order the things I need online and have them delivered to my residence?
Yes, the Order identifies businesses that deliver goods or services directly to residences as “essential businesses” that may continue to operate.
Can grocery stores, farmers markets, and other food retailers remain open?
Yes. Grocery stores, certified farmers’ markets, farm and produce stands, supermarkets, food banks, convenience stores, and similar food retail establishments are encouraged to remain open to provide food and pet supplies to the public. When visiting these establishments, please help retailers maintain six feet minimum distance between patrons, including by providing ample space while shopping and waiting in line.
I become anxious when cooped up in my house. Am I allowed to go to a park or on a hike?
Yes. Spending time outside improves mood and wellbeing, and is particularly beneficial to children. You can go for walks, go to the park, and engage in other similar activities, but should maintain social distance (i.e. be more than 6 feet away from persons who are not part of your household) when on walks and in parks to avoid spread of the virus.
Should I stock up on food, necessities like toilet paper, and on medicines?
No. You will continue to be able to purchase these items whenever you need them, as stores selling necessary items like grocery stores, pharmacies, and hardware stores will remain open. Please continue to buy normal quantities of these items on the same schedule you normally do.
Why is the County Health Officer issuing an order that shuts down so many businesses?
Sacramento County Public Health is taking this action in line with state directives to save the lives of the many higher-risk people in our community who are particularly susceptible to severe illness from COVID-19, and may die if we do not slow the spread and make sure our hospitals do not get overwhelmed with a flood of patients.
How will I get food and medicines I need if I must “stay at home or at my place of residence”?
The Order specifically allows people to leave their home to buy food, purchase medicine, and purchase other necessary items. It also directs businesses selling those items to remain open, and allows employees of those businesses to keep working and to ensure those businesses are operating.
I don’t cook - how can I purchase meals?
Restaurants, cafes, food trucks, and similar establishments remain open to supply meals to the public via delivery and carryout. You can also purchase prepared foods at grocery stores, supermarkets, certified farmers’ markets, convenience stores, and other such food retailers.
What if my plumbing gets stopped up? How will I access those sorts of services?
Call your plumber. This Order allows service providers like plumbers, electricians, and exterminators to keep working and providing their services to the public. To obtain supplies for a DIY solution, you can also visit your hardware store, which is allowed to stay open under this Order.

© 2021 City of Elk Grove. All Rights Reserved.